For a time, Whelen made a low cost product based on the serial protocol. These were the “Diagnostic” bars and controllers known as the PCDS-9 units. The controllers look just like the PCC-9 series switch boxes but have a red LED light over each push button. If there is a lightbar component failure, the LED will light up to let the user know that something is wrong. To my knowledge these were only factory and not field programmable. Major customers of these were the Connecticut State Police and the Ohio State Highway Patrol.
The PCDS controller will do a self test of the lightbar by holding down the “Hi/Low” button. If there is a problem the appropriate LED light will blink.
- Real-time monitoring of all lights is built into all Edge Diagnostix Risk Reduction Series lightbars.
- High power switching of all lighting is performed in lightbar
- High speed digital link. Control signals and status back are multiplexed over a single pair of wires.
- Pre-wired, two wire connection between lightbar and PCDS-9 simplifies installation and reduces cockpit clutter.
- Operating status is displayed by LED indicators on the PCDS-9 Power Switch/Control Center,
included with each lightbar.
- Quick test button on PCDS-9 tests all lighting on Edge lightbar. Within five seconds, results are displayed on PCDS-9.
- With Edge Diagnostix Series lightbars, high power switching of all lighting is performed in the lightbar.
- Installation wiring is simplified; control signals and status back are multiplexed over
a single pair of wires between lightbar and PCDS-9.
(Whelen PCDS-9 Controller)
All top drawing views of Edge lightbars are shown with FRONT of lightbar facing top (^) of screen. All Diagnostix models are covered by a 5 year Heavy Duty Professional Warranty.
Whelen Edge Diagnostix Models
Model 9104 – Four strobes (2 front, 2 rear), one power supply.
Model 91FF – Four strobes (4 front), one power supply.
Model 9206 – Six strobes (2 front, 4 rear), two power supplies.
Model 9308 – Eight strobes (4 front, 4 rear), two power supplies.
Model 9908 – Eight strobes (4 front, 4 rear), two power supplies, with alleys and take downs.
Model 9906 – Eight strobe (4 front, 2 rear, 2 remote), two power supplies, take downs, alleys and Traffic Advisor.
(Whelen Edge Diagnostix 9906)
LEGEND: Edge Lightbar Modules